Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Sweet End to the Summer

 
While the temperatures are sure to stick in the high ninety's with a thousand percent humidity for at least another month, I would still like to think of September as they official passage into Fall here in south Florida. I am welcoming it with open arms and sweet treats. I tend not to be much of a "sweets" kinda gal, but for the last week I have been wanting desserts almost every day. And so throughout the Fall, I plan to attempt lots of sweet goodies that are both comforting, gluten free and healthier than the average cupcake. My first attempt was a gluten free peach cobbler. It was rather good and super easy since I had gluten free biscuit mix on hand. I am not versed enough in gluten free baking to attempt a flour mix of my own yet but maybe one day.
I bought some peaches, sliced them, left the skin on and decided to put an adult spin on the cobbler by soaking them in agave nectar, cinnamon and whiskey for a few hours prior to baking the dish. When they were ready, I made the GF biscuit mix according to the package (used butter on this one but almond milk as the liquid) then I added cinnamon, nutmeg and clove to the batter. I greased my pan, poured in the peaches and whiskey juice and laid dollops of the biscuit mix on top. I then baked it for 45 minutes at 375 degrees. I let it cool for about 15 minutes before serving but I still wanted it to be warm. The first night Ryan and I enjoyed it by itself but the second night we paired it with homemade dairy free banana ice cream and it was even better. Next time I make this I will use less of the biscuit mix and possibley more peaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment