Monday, September 27, 2010

Bagels aren't easy...or are they?


 
As much as I like to cook, I have never been a "baker." Cooking can handle an impatient personality and welcomes creativity, baking despises impatience and only allows creativity as the icing on the cake-literally.  I did however promise my new husband that I WOULD use my heavy duty stand mixer that I HAD to register for despite his need for clear kitchen counter tops (yes my hubby is a bit of a "neat freak"...all the more reason to be head over heels, right?)   This gluten free diet lends itself to some home baking and so far I have had little luck with a baked good that tasted yummy so, what better time to give a that lonely, counter top wasting appliance a whirl.  One thing that I desperately miss is my weekly jaunt to the bagel shop (sorry Lox N Eggs, I went gluten free...it's nothing personal).  So Sunday morning I decided to use my gluten free flour mix to give bagels a shot.  A bit intimidating but I didn't let that stop me. I am glad because it wasn't so hard.  Flour mix, active yeast, oil and water.  Then let the mixer do its thing for 3 1/2 minutes.  A healthy dose of butter on the hands, then shape into circles.  Let sit for 1 hour, then make holes in the center.  Boil for 25 seconds, then throw on a greased baking sheet for a 20 minute tan in the oven at 400 degrees.  I have to say the end result was not as pretty as I had hoped but this morning I was able to toast one, top with some cream fraiche and organic strawberry preserves and savor the fact that I had made this baked good from scratch.  I must admit, I am looking forward to an attempt at the pizza crust recipe on the back of the flour package!

No comments:

Post a Comment