Monday, September 27, 2010

I scream, you scream, we all scream for probiotic ice cream!

So our newest addition to the kitchen appliance family is an ice cream maker. I must say, I had my doubts but after use number one, I am thinking it may just have been a very wise investment.  My motivation was not, in fact, "ice cream."  Instead, knowing how good yogurt is for you, and how amazingly yummy (but expensive) Sunni Bunni froyo is I tried my hand at making frozen kefir WITHOUT the assistance of an ice cream maker...that did not turn out so well!  What I ended up with was a solid block of ice that sorta tasted like strawberries.  Determined to make the probiotic treat a regular part of our household and highly motivated by the thought of freshly made sorbets and ice creams to endure future Florida summers, I gave in an bought the appliance.  I cannot stress how amazingly easy it is to use.  The hardest part is waiting overnight for the freezer bowl to freeze (again, patience is NOT my strong suit).  Once that happens you plug the machine in, turn her on, throw all of your ingredients in and less than 20 minutes later you have a very delicious homemade treat, sure to impress any and all guests at any age. 

My first frozen treat was strawberry frozen kefir
 
Ingredients:
1 bottle of full fat plain kefir
1 can of coconut milk
2 teaspoons of organic vanilla extract
Agave nectar to taste. 
2 pints of fresh (washed) strawberries, tops removed

Combine all ingrediants in a blender to mix and puree the stawberries then poured it right into the ice cream maker for approx 15-17 minutes and wah-la! 
In order to store ice cream, you must transfer to a freezer friendly container.  I used our pyrex baking set with a lid, a must have on your registry.   To be honest, I thought for sure that as soon as I transfered the frozen yogurt to another container and put it into the freezer, it would get too hard and icy again, but nope. 
 Ryan and I enjoyed the dessert a couple hours later topped with peanut butter and a little honey and it was just as creamy as right after I made it.  I assume it has something to do with the way the Ice Cream Maker combines the ingrediants as they freeze. 
Ryan is now making special requests like peanut butter with chocolate chip ice cream and I am craving some pumpkin frozen yogurt to bring on the Fall Season.  Good thing the maker came with two freezer bowls!



No comments:

Post a Comment