Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Oh Those Florida Mosquitos

I am currently sitting at my desk, jeans rolled up with my ankles and feet covered in mosquito bites topped with Caladryl. I am over it! Although I grew up in Florida, I don't think I could EVER get used to these pesky bugs. I had access to conventional bug spray on that night of the attack, but regretfully decided to pass on using it because of the smell and the chemicals. The other part of my bug spray dilemma is that I have yet to find a natural bug spray that doesn't leave my hubby begging me to shower before he will come near me. That said, I will be attempting to make my own repellent and here are the ideas I found on http://www.greenyour.com/body/personal-care/insect-repellent/tips/make-homemade-bug-spray:
  • Blend of essential oils:
    1. Mix the following essential oils in a 4 oz. container: 20 drops Eucalyptus oil, 20 drops Cedarwood oil, 10 drops Tea Tree oil, and 10 drops Geranium oil.
    2. Add 2 oz. of a carrier oil (such as Jojoba). Mix well.
  • Mint-based bug spray:
    1. Place 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. of either catnip, spearmint, or pennyroyal (all in the mint family) in a spray bottle.
    2. Add 1 cup of isopropyl alcohol and 1 cup of water.
    3. Shake well.
  • Herbal insect repellent safe for use on the face:
    1. Blend 4 drops each of sandalwood, cajeput, and lavender essential oils with 2 teaspoons of carrier oil (such as extra virgin olive oil).
    2. Mix well and apply as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment